Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Life changed today? Check

Karin here.


I just spent a most delightful morning on our sunny couch reading a book that makes me want to be a better person. It makes me excited for student teaching and continued learning instead of dreading all that work. I feel like I have the energy to do all those great things I've dreamed of doing like going to the gym and being a good dance teacher and being friendly to the fridge repairman and everyone else I run into. I'm even starting to grasp the feeling that life will keep on changing and I can learn and grow and adapt right along with it. My happily ever after wedding is not the climax or end of my life.

And the book? It's about polygamy. A Mormon Mother by Annie Clark Tanner is the autobiography about a Mormon girl who grew up as the daughter of a second wife in late 19th century Utah and then practiced it as an adult. If that's not fascinating enough, she was married to one of the early presidents of Brigham Young College only a few years before the manifesto came out. Her insightful perspective is surprisingly progressive as she examines parent and husband-wife roles, changing church teachings, and obedience as a virtue through her own experiences.


Also, lest you think I lie around all day reading such high literature, let me explain that I read it for a class on Utah History, which I need to head to...right now. It's taught by Professor Spencer Fluhman and like the book, I highly recommend it. Who knew Utah history was so crazy? And amazing. And crazy.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. I'll have to try to find it at the library. You're a very good person as it is but it never hurts to set new goals and strive to meet them. You're a force to be reckoned with. Love you.
    Grandma Sharon

    ReplyDelete